The Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure for reshaping the nose. It is also known as Nose Job. There are two types of nasal surgery: the cosmetic surgery and the reconstructive surgery. While the Cosmetic Nose Procedure is used for enhancing the appearance and aesthetics of the nose, the reconstructive surgery is used for reinstating the functions of the nose.
Who should undergo a Nose Job?
- People who have suffered nasal injuries from trauma such as blunt and penetrating trauma or the trauma which is caused by the blast injuries.
- Individuals who have congenital disabilities and breathing problems.
- The persons who want to correct their nasal width, bumps or the angle between their nose and mouth.
- Sinus patients and or persons with deviated nasal septums.
What is the importance of Rhinoplasty?
Undergoing Rhinoplasty can give the patient a proportionate nose. The surgeons segregate the skin of the nose and the other soft tissues from the framework of the nose. This results in the restoration of the proper structure and functionality of the nose.
Open Rhinoplasty and Closed Rhinoplasty
The manner in which the plastic surgeon performs the incision on the nose classifies it as an open or closed Rhinoplasty. In closed Rhinoplasty, the surgeons make the incision inside the nose while in open Rhinoplasty, the cartilage and the bones of the nose can be easily accessed by the surgeon. Closed Rhinoplasty usually resolves the issues related to the nasal bridge.
Steps common to Open and Closed Rhinoplasty
- General Anaesthesia or sedation is administered to the patient during the surgery.
- Small incisions are created on the columella or inside the nose.
- The surgeon then lifts the skin to access the cartilage and bones. Then, depending upon the requirements of the patient, the surgeon either grafts or removes the tissues.
- After making the necessary changes, the surgeon places back the skin on the nose and closes the incisions.
- To retain the shape of the nose, nasal packing is placed on it.
Primary and Secondary Rhinoplasty
Primary Nose job consists of the aesthetic or functional correction of the nose for the first time. The Secondary Rhinoplasty, also known as revision rhinoplasty, is performed to correct a failed Rhinoplasty.
After the surgery, the patient is advised to keep his head elevated while sleeping. He should also apply a cold compress to the area to prevent swelling. They should also clean their nasal pads and gauzes regularly to prevent infection.
The surgery aftercare is very important for the patient for the surgery to be entirely successful. It is crucial for the patient to consult the doctors immediately in case of constant irritation.