Migrating to a cloud-based ERP platform is a complex process that is better accomplished with the assistance of a third-party service that specializes in the many tasks required for a successful implementation.
One of the most important decisions a business owner must make is the selection of the cloud migration services to handle the implementation.
Cloud-based systems enable businesses to avoid the initial hardware costs. For a large corporation with multiple sites, this can represent millions of dollars in capital outlay. In addition to avoiding the costs of creating a hardware infrastructure, cloud-based systems are “Disaster Proof” because the hosting services maintain extremely secure sites and data security measures.
What is involved in the Migration Process?
While there are many ERP systems available, each has specific advantages and capabilities. One of the primary tasks of a migration service is to choose a system that will accomplish yur specific business needs.
Because new systems are constantly emerging, and current systems are constantly being updated. Unless a business owner is abreast of the currently available platforms it is difficult to select the system best suited to the needs of a specific business.
The current leader in the field is SAP/S4 HANA. This is a completely cloud-based ERP system, with a unique internal architecture and data management platform that makes processing speeds incredibly fast, enabling real-time monitoring of systems.
Migrations include consolidation of data that exists on older platforms, databases, and in some cases even hard copy formats. All of this data will need to be prepared to load into the new system. The service you choose needs the experience to successfully move your current data to the new platform.
Employee migration is another major component of any ERP implementation, and the training process needs to be systematic and thorough. Migration services are experienced not only in data movement, but all the other processes needed including employee training.
What to look for when Choosing A Cloud Migration Service
There are many services available to assist in the transition to a Cloud Based ERP System, and careful selection of your provider is critical. First and foremost is the ability of the service to analyze your specific business needs and understand your current and long-term goals.
Experience is the most important asset a Migration Service has to offer to choose a service with a proven track record is your best assurance of a successful implementation.
What you should expect from an experienced firm.
– An in-depth analysis of your current and future business needs. Provisions for expansion of your system to allow for future growth.
– A detailed explanation of the suitability of their recommended platform to your business needs. SAP/S4HANA is an excellent choice as SAP covers many business models and has the capability of adding specialized modules to address numerous a wide variety of specialized business functions.
– Cost analysis is critical. Not only the initial startup costs but ongoing licensing costs. There is the ongoing cost of maintaining your space on the host Cloud.
-Costs related to the training of your staff. There will be costs whether your business has ten employees or ten thousand.
-Vendor and customer management. This may be the most critical aspect of the implementation because the new platform will change the way you communicate with everyone involved in your business process. Managing this task is another reason an experienced migration service is essential.
Three Basic Cloud Migration Scenarios
Migration to the Cloud is the process by which company data and systems transfer to the new platform. While every implementation is different, there are three basic scenarios.
– Legacy systems to the ERP Cloud. In this case, a company may have numerous different systems for various company functions, provided by different software companies.
– Existing SAP systems that will migrate from in-house hardware to a cloud-based platform.
– Transitioning to an ERP system from older manual systems that are a combination of spreadsheets, manual tables and other types of manual data storage. These are often the most complex migrations to manage because all of the various data resources need to be identified, updated, and re-formatted to be compatible with the new system.
Migration to the Cloud is a necessary part of the growth process for any modern business. Professional management of the process and engaging an experienced and professional Migration Service is the most reliable solution.
Protera Technologies, a global leader in ERP and IT Outsourcing Services for organizations that utilize ERP systems is an excellent resource. We provide end-to-end IT solutions and managed infrastructure and are one of a select few global SAP HANA and SAP S4/HANA partners. Visit our website for more information: https://www.protera.com/ 877-70-PROTERA.